9 September 2014

Low Priority Rabbits.

If you grow Lettuce, and indeed various other vegetables it can sometimes be worth leaving them in the garden even after they are past being useful for eating as they can put on a display just as good as any flowering plant. Tell me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Lettuce in the picture look good in any Herbaceous border? I haven't tried this but one could probably still pick off individual leaves and add them to a salad.

Incidentally the Leeks in front of the lettuce are a failure. People keep on telling me that keeping rabbits out of the garden is not a priority, I hope they are as understanding when I present them with the Leeks in the picture as the two previous sowing's got eaten by the low priority rabbits last spring.


5 comments:

Doc said...

They would make a great background plant in the border with that nice deep burgundy. I am quite thankful that we don’t have a rabbit problem here.

Sara said...

The lettuce is beautiful! What a great idea.

Keeping woodchucks out of my garden was a high priority this year! They were eating everything. So frustrating.

Janneke said...

So nice these dark red lettuce, it would be a great idea to have them in the border. I try to get rid of the rabbits in our garden, we never had them, but this year it is a real nuissance.

Kimmie said...

I always remind myself that the poor wee things can't run to the market to invest in their own fresh veggies, but must be exuberant when they find them growing so close to home.

hmmm...guess my perspective isn't probably the popular one. ;-)

Hope things are well in your part of the world.

off to catch up on your posts.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Matron said...

Most definitely! Veggie plants make great displays if they are left to go to seed. My most spectacular was a parsnip left for a 2nd year and it grew a stunning umbelliferous yellow flower display about 10 foot tall..the bees love it too.