1 May 2020

Sweet Pea Planting.

Hello everyone.
Today the head gardener and I have been working flat out planting sweet pea plants.
Because I went and changed my plans I didn't have the ground prepared so the first job was to fix netting for the plants to climb as they grow. I then had to dig over the row to a spades depth.
As we went we incorporated a mix of compost and manure and as there was a bit left over after we got finished digging I just sprinkled it over the surface.
When this was all done we put in the plants around nine inches apart, I wasn't too exact about that. The green netting along the bottom is temporary to protect the plants from pigeons. Some times they bother them and others they don't so it's not worth taking a chance if you have a bit of netting to spare. The final job was to water them in.

6 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I love sweet peas but if I want them I have to plant the seeds in November and I never remember.

Doc said...

Sweet peas are my wife’s favorite, I can’t plant enough.

Midmarsh John said...

Thanks for the reminder. Must get some started.

Rob said...

Hi Ellen, How nice to hear from you again. The traditional time here used to be November and still is the recommended time but people also do Spring sowings and get a nice show.

Rob said...

Hi Doc, They are very popular with the ladies for cutting, and perhaps for some gentlemen too but as a gardener I prefer to see them in the garden.

Rob said...

Glad to be an alarm clock John. Good luck and watch out for the mice pinching the seed.