23 December 2022

J and L Seeds, Sub Arctic Plenty.

 I suspect that Christmas is a time of year, perhaps more than any other, when people carry out certain traditions, very often unique to only themselves. I am no different in this respect one of which I carried out today. Every year for many years now, before packing up the gardening until after the new year, I've made a small sowing of Tomato seed. It's way too early really as it is still a long time before the conditions are right for growing Tomatoes properly. However provided the seed germinates it is possible with a little care and trouble to bring on the plants to eventually fruit. Usually I just sow a standard variety from seed left over from the year before but this year I have brought a variety called Sub Arctic Plenty which as the name might suggest is especially suited to cooler conditions. Below is the name of the seed merchant for anyone interested.

J & L Seeds

I only require two or three plants which hopefully this amount of seed will provide. I will germinate them on a window sill in the house before moving them to the greenhouse.


8 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Good luck with the tomatoes. I am sure you will be successful and look forward to seeing their progress.

Jim said...

Good luck, Rob, on having early tomatoes. A lot of folks here plant already growing plants instead of seed. At home on the farm, Mom planted mostly seed.
..

Rob said...

Thanks Susan. That's a good idea, I can do monthly "Christmas Tomato" updates.

Rob said...

Hi Jim, I think a lot of people here buy ready growing plants when the time comes which is okay as long as all you want are the more common varieties.

ellen abbott said...

If anyone can bring them to fruit I suspect it's you. I try an heirloom tomato every year along with the standard hybrids but have never really had any success with them.

ellen abbott said...

Scrolling through your posts I see I have missed quite a few. How did that happen! Your house looks lovely for Christmas. And since the new head gardner has quit I guess you haven't quite retired.

Merry Christmas.

Rob said...

We will have to see how it goes Ellen. It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day so not to worry if it doesn't work out. They do usually grow and fruit but they aren't that much in advance of those sown at the proper time.

Rob said...

I apologise for that Ellen. I had a few posts on my phone that I didn't get to publish immediately so they sort of got left behind. I hope you're all caught up now.