12 October 2019

Wired.

Today was not as productive as I was hoping on account of the weather not being so good during the morning. It was so wet early on that I decided to come home and look in to ordering some Garlic for planting in the garden. Whilst looking I came on this collection for Garlic, Onions and Shallots all for planting anytime soon so I though I would give that a go. Below is the link if you want to check it out.
Garlic/Onion Collection

I did manage to cart off all the prunings from yesterday and tidy up any other mess I'd made. This had to be done whether it was raning or not because of the wedding tomorrow. Thankfully by the time I got round to that the rain had eased off quite a lot so I only got a bit damp.

This afternoon I finished off the pruning on the Barn wall Border but there is more work to be done there on Monday so I didn't bother to take any pictures of it yet. I did take a picture of the roses I trained yesterday and the wiring arrangement just in case it's of help to anyone.


This picture shows how I attach the wires to the wall. In the past I have used rawplugs and vine eyes but I've found that these floor board nails work very well. They hammer into the joints easily enough and fasten themselves in very well, I've never had one pull out yet. Also they are tapered so if you wrap the wire round them a couple of times it can't slip off. I find it very easy doing it this way. 

It depends on the courses in the stonework as to how far apart I place the wires but I aim for the length of the hammer apart which is 12 to 14 inches apart. 

4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

turned cold here yesterday, down in the 50s, with a high wind that knocked pecans out of the trees all day. I've already gathered over 4 gallons of nuts just yesterday.

Rob said...

That seens a lot of nuts Ellen, Pity you don't live closer I could buy some off you.

Doc said...

Do you plant your shallots the same time as your garlic?

Rob said...

I have planted them all at the same time Doc. Apparently the collection was all for Autumn planting. I've grown Garlic and the Japanese Onions before but never Shallots so I will be interested to see how they do. The instructions said to plant from October to mid December.