16 October 2019

Ivy Bustin' (Part Two).

Today we are attempting to get this Ivy under control. Whenever I've done anything with it in the past it's been nothing more than a trim but it never looks right because the growth on the top is uneven so this time I have decided to take it down to the top of the wall as well as trim the sides. We always try to leave some of the sides as it makes a good place for birds to nest also when it flowers it attracts the bees so Ivy is not all bad but it does need to be kept under control. Anyway here goes.

This is how it was when we started which was okay and some may even prefer it like this, but this is an important part of the garden for weddings and so I decided that it looks a bit scruffy to be attending weddings.
 This picture is take from on top of the wall and shows what I had to contend with. It got even worse further along where there were vines as thick as my wrist all intertwined which I could only be remove a few inches at a time.

And here we have the finished article being inspected by the head gardener who thought it looks a bit sparse now but I assured him it would green up nice in the spring and would look great this time next year.

2 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

A vast improvement. I have problems with next door's Ivy growing through and over my fences. It gets so tangled it takes hours to sort out. My Ivy is alive with wasps feeding during the day.

Rob said...

Bees and wasps are very attracted to the Ivy flowers John and I was loathed to cut it back just yet for this reason but we have plenty of other Ivy not far away and I knew if I didn't do it there and then it would no doubt get left another year. Now that I have it under control I will endeavour to keep it that way as it's easier to maintain than restore.