24 October 2019

No Waste Removal.

Today I have been doing some work on the big flower border and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to show you the no waste removal technique that I've been toying with.

This is the flower border before work began. It's a mix of perennials, shrubs and roses. It's the perennials that I am cutting down on this occasion although I did prune a couple of roses as I had some time to spare at the end of the day.
Here you can see all the rubbish cut down and spread along the edge of the lawn. It's best spread out a bit so as to get the mower over it. I have the mower set on it's highest setting for the first past and then lower it a bit at a time until it's no it's lowest setting.
Here is the rubbish looking from the other end of the border.
By the time the mower is down to the low setting this is what the rubbish looks like and as you can see it's reduced no end and even if you don't fancy putting it back on the border I still think it's worth getting it to this stage as it's been reduced from something like three trailers full to maybe half a trailer full.
After I got it all chopped up I got the backpack blower and blew it off the grass back on to the border making sure to spread it evenly around which is not difficult as it soon loses itself among the plants.
So anyway this has saved me no end of time carting it all away, turning it in the compost heap and then bringing it all back again and while I don't suppose it's as good as compost it must do some good I would have thought. Below shows what effect it has on the border once the rubbish has been blown back on. In spring I will top dress with fertiliser and fork over the soil and it should be good to go for another year.

4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

more than one way to compost and this way seems infinitely more sensible to me.

Midmarsh John said...

That's what I do when I trim my thorn hedge. Saves all those unscheduled acupuncture sessions trying to pick it up.

Rob said...

Hello Ellen, As far as adding goodness to the soil goes then perhaps the standard way is best but for ease and time saving then I think this is a good way, certainly better than taking it to a dump as this way is still returning something to the soil. Also if you think about it, it's the natural way of things. It's what the plants would do if I didn't interfere.

Rob said...

I can see how it would work very well with thorns John. I was really amazed how the clippings from the Holly hedge I cut disappeared to virtually nothing. Clearing up after the hedge cutter is half the battle so if you can make that job easier then it has to be a good thing.