21 October 2019

New Measure Board.

Today I managed to get all the Garlic, Onions and Shallots planted. It was quite a job and not at all pleasant on account of the ground being so wet after all the rain we've been having and even as I was planting them it kept on damping from time to time. Because of this I had to keep working the ground as I was planting rather than working over the whole bed and then planting which I would normally do. Anyway we got there in the end and so now I just have to wait and see how they grow. They are all Autumn planting varieties so they should be alright.


Before starting with the planting I decided to make myself a new measuring board. The old one which I've had for a few years now is getting a bit fragile due to it having a big knot right in the middle. I was thinking of bracing it somehow but then I came across this piece of wood one day so decided to do new rather than repair. I do have a garden line but I find the board much more convenient to work with.
 I have three measurements on the board. twelve inches is the cut right across and then on one side is marked four inches and on the other side is marked six inches. I use a saw to cut in the marks rather than a marker or whatever, that way you can still see them even when the measure is wet and dirty. Just don't make the cuts to deep though. You hardly need to do much more than a scratch on the surface. Also it's best if the measure is around the same length as the beds you're going to be using it on.

2 comments:

ellen abbott said...

what a clever idea.

Rob said...

Thank you Ellen. I do find it handier than using a line.