7 October 2019

Tidying the dog run border.

Today I made a start on tidying the border behind the dogs runs although we had more rain on and off so I didn't get on as well as I might. First job was to cut down all the old growth and clear it off the border on to the grass. I have recently been following this contract gardener who doesn't take away any rubbish, instead he reduces everything and then returns it back from where it has come from. This goes against the way I've always done things but it does make sense so I thought I would give it a try. So I got all the rubbish laid out in a row on the edge of the grass and then ran over it with the mulching mower that I have. It took a few passes but it did reduce everything to almost nothing. The only problem I encountered was the mower didn't want to pick up the long stalks so maybe next time I will try and cut them off shorter. After mulching everything down in then got the big leave blower and blew everything back on to the border. I have to say that I am happy with the way it looked and there wasn't to much that it buried the plants so hopefully there are to be no hidden problems caused by it. It certainly saved carting away a lot of rubbish and I can see that it will be good for the soil as it dogs down.

After dealing with the border I then set too removing the Ivy from the top of the wall. This proved to be quite a job but I just managed to get it all done before it was time to go home. I still have it all to cart away in the morning. It will have to go away to be burnt as there is far to much to mulch and it would be to strong for the mower anyway.

 This picture was taken before I started work.

No comments: