7 May 2020

Tomato Planting.

Today the head gardener and I have been planting the first lot of Tomato plants. We will be planting another lot later outside.

The ones planted below are in the greenhouse border and will obviously stay there for the rest of their time.
I have moved away from having the greenhouse full of Tomato plants all summer mainly because of whitefly problems. Instead I now plant most of them in containers and sit them outside in the potting shed yard which catches lots of sunshine and are protected by high walls. In the picture below are some I have planted in potato growing bags. I will keep adding more compost to the bags through the summer as the plants progress.
Below is the same as above except here I am using pots. I do prefer the bags actually but I only have three of those. The plants in the containers are being put out during the day and brought back in to the greenhouse at night as we are still getting a few cold nights ate the moment.
We finished up with a couple of plants left over so not wanting to throw them away and with nothing to lose I planted them in the open garden and covered them with these two cloches that I am restoring. I have another lot of plants coming on behind these which I will be planting in the open garden which will be for later in the year.

No comments: