19 April 2021

Sweet Peas

Hello Everyone,

On Friday afternoon I planted the Sweet Peas but didn't have time to net them so I've just done that this morning.

This year I have put them in a new place as I think they will have a better impact here rather than the veg garden/Orchard area. For the last few years I've been planting them against the north facing wall of the walled garden and they have done very well even though they never get any direct sun on them. The netting they climb up is hooked on top of the wall and the plants eventually reach the top.



4 comments:

Susan Heather said...

I must try sweet peas again. My aunt who lived next-door but one to us when I was growing up in Surrey had a wonderful show of them but mine never come to much. I think I may have been sowing them too late. I am sure yours will look wonderful against that wall.

Rob said...

The traditional time for sowing here is in the Autumn indoors and over winter indoors or a sheltered place outdoors but I have started them in Spring and didn't really notice that much difference and so I think that is probably the best time if you have limited enthusiasm or facilities. The biggest difference in the ones I've grown over the years have come from moving them from a sunny position to a more shady one. The ones I grow now never see the direct sun light as they are behind a ten foot high wall and they seem to like that.

Hetty said...

Growing sweet peas in a north facing position is new to me. I have sown a lot, so I will try the “Rob way”.

Midmarsh John said...

They should make a magnificent show. It has reminded me to get some sweet peas started. Hoping for better results than last year.