22 January 2022

Repurposed Gin Barrel.

 Many years ago I inherited two stoneware barrels from my grandparents on my mothers side of the family. In all that time they've just been around collecting dust mostly, infact all the time we've been at our present home they have been stored away and not even seen the light of day. Well recently we have been going through things and having a clear out and it was during this that I came across the barrels and as they have never really contributed to anything I felt under pressure to get rid of them which I was reluctant to do with them being my grandparents and also something I remember from my childhood. So I came up with this idea which would give them a purpose and so save them getting the chop so to speak. Yesterday I put my plan into action and below is the result. 


I have the other one to do sometime but I need some different fittings as the tap is stuck in the closed position on the other barrel so I need a different way to route the wiring as I don't want to alter the barrel in anyway. I will have a go at freeing the tap but I don't hold out much hope of that being successful. 


6 comments:

ellen abbott said...

And did your grandparents keep gin in them?

Susan Heather said...

They are lovely. So pleased you could convert them without damage.

Rob said...

I don't really know the history of them Ellen. I never recall my grandparents as being gin drinkers.It's a good question though and has prompted me to give mum a ring and see if she remembers anything about them. I will keep you posted if there is anything more to tell.

Rob said...

Yes, for sure Susan, I wouldn't have done anything to alter the barrels. If I can't free the tap so the cable can be routed through it there is another kind of fitting that allows the cable to go into the side of the bulb holder but it means the cable will drape down the side of the barrel.

Belinda Robinson said...

A bit of up cycling- good to see!

Rob said...

That's right Belinda, along with some family history so makes it even more worthwhile.