21 December 2021

There's No Fooling Timothy - Michael.

 I finished work last Friday until in the new year so me and the head gardener are spending this week doing some work up at the cottage. One of the first jobs was to stack up some logs that we had delivered last week. I didn't have time to do it when they were delivered because I had to get back to work. I wasn't really skiving off as such as I am going to be feeding sheep and stuff over Christmas and New Year so I will more than make up for lost time then but I don't like to abuse a situation and I have plenty of time this week to stack up the logs.



Unfortnately the head gardener is not going to well at the moment as he has hurt one of his back legs. The vet doesn't seem to think he has torn or broken anything but he has several different lots of medication to take and has to rest as much as possible. There is one particular tablet that he has taken a dislike to and it's proving to be a challenge to get him to have it. Mostly he will take his medicine in cheese but not this tablet, he knows it's in there and just spits it back out. I even ground it up and put it in milk which he likes but there's no fooling him, he wouldn't take the milk. I've had some success today by dripping it in marmite and then wrapping it in cheese and then leaving it in the corner somewhere for him to discover for himself and so far that is working out okay.

7 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

Well done all round. It can be quite a challenge to get a four legged companion to take medication they don't like the taste of. I've never tried Marmite. Occasionally I would use the dog food which contains chunks of meat in gravy and hide the pill in one chunk. Hope Timmothy - Michael soon recovers. Best wishes to you both for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Look-see who's smarter than the average bear.

Rob said...

I used to do that with the chunks of meat with my last dog but Timmy has always had the dry food. I seem to have cracked it with marmite though.

Rob said...

Anonymous: This is true, I doubt I could tell there was a crushed up tablet in a bowl of milk. When you live with a dog you learn just how smart they can be.

ellen abbott said...

Dogs are smart. We would give our boxer whatever pill in liverwurst. And how nice the garage has those niches for the stacked logs.

Rob said...

They are smarter than some people give them credit for Ellen. The niches did come in handy, apart from holding the logs in place it means they don't take up much usable room at all.

Susan Heather said...

What an ideal place for stacking the wood, so much easier. Hope Timmy's leg gets better soon. Giving an unwilling pet a tablet is always hard.