8 July 2022

Black Currant Picking

Today has been warm and sunny once again.

I spent the morning pottering around and catching up on things around my own garden. I picked up the windfall apples which has been a daily task over the past few weeks, there is a heavy crop this year. I also put canes to the Chrysanths that I have growing in pots as they are starting to get quite tall and in danger of falling over and perhaps breaking off. I want the option to cut them for the house so they need to be grown straight for that.

After lunch I had a little nap before starting on picking the fruit from the one and only black currant bush we have this year. As we don't have an area of garden for fruit and veg the bush has been grown in a large container and for saying that it was roughly dug out of the ground and put in a pot just this past spring I am very pleased with the crop we got from it. Some of the berries are a bit on the small side but there were plenty of them and I was able to fill three quite large bowls as you can see in the pictures below. The fruit will be frozen and used over the coming year on my daily bowl of porridge which I have to start the day.



I finished the day with some pot watering followed by a bike ride to just past the dog training corner on the way to Carlton. 

2 comments:

Susan Heather said...

What a wonderful crop from that one plant in a pot.

ellen abbott said...

A nice bountiful crop!