4 March 2021

Bird Box Terrace

Yesterday we moved some of the Dahlia tubers from being stored in the potting shed to the conservatory in the hope that if I keep dampening them with water on warmer days they will start to put out shoots so they get a head start once planted in the garden. A bit like spritting seed Potatoes I suppose.

The ones below are called Border Princess and will be going back into the Memorial Gardens borders.

Also yesterday, as I was supposed to be taking it easy I put up a bird box. It's been waiting around in the potting shed for a couple of years so I thought it was time it did a bit of good somewhere. I don't really know much about birds so not sure if it's in a good place or not. I read that some birds like to fly straight into the box whereas others prefer to perch and look around first  so I've tried to accommodate both here because apart from the hole that you can see in the middle there is also one at either end which in my book makes it a terraced bird box. Anyway I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I think there are probably a lot of better places to nest around here to be honest.


5 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

Might get to see some Sparrows take up residence in the new des res.
Great tidying up jobs on the Ivy.

Rob said...

It would be nice to give someone a home but I'm not holding m breath.

Susan Heather said...

We have starling boxes and they are well used. Hope yours is occupied.

Susan Heather said...

Look forward to seeing all those dahlias when in flower. Ours stay in situ year round.

Rob said...

I've left some of the less important Dahlia's in the ground over winter in the past but it is risky and I also find that some varieties tolerate it better than others. So this year I lifted them all and put to store in the potting shed.