15 March 2021

 I've managed to get a bit more work done on the graves in the churchyard. This first picture is a reminder of as it was like shortly after I started back in February. At the very beginning there was also Ivy covering both the gravestones as well as the ground.


This is how it was after the initial clearing and after I removed the Ivy from the graves and went over the surrounding area with the brush cutter.

This next picture shows the work I did lastly on the next four graves. The Ivy had climbed the sides and was starting to grow over the top so I removed it from top and sides plus underneath which was the most difficult part as I couldn't get to it very easily. As you can see in the foreground the original graves are now cleared. I'm undecided whether to put in a little plant, maybe a primula or similar but would that be overstepping the mark as the graves are nothing to do with me.

Here are the last four graves I cleared looking from the other end. You can see some of the Ivy I had to remove from them.







6 comments:

Susan Heather said...

You have done a great job. Those graves that look a bit like low tables are unusual. I have never seen them before and have looked at many graveyards.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Looks so much better, lots of hard work pulling and chopping.
I have English Ivy growing over my garden arbor, I will probably regret planting it.
~Jo

ellen abbott said...

I've never seen graves with slabs on pedestals like those. they look like low tables that your would sit cross legged at. perhaps that was the intention, come have a picnic on mom's or dad's grave.

Rob said...

Thanks Susan, we try our best to do a good job. I know what you mean about the table like graves, this is why I think it's important that they don't get taken over by Ivy.

Rob said...

I think the Ivy will be okay Jo, it's like a lot of plants in that it only becomes a problem if people neglect to train it. I quite like Ivy if it's looked after.

Rob said...

I never thought of that Ellen. I was tempted to use one as a bench after pulling and tugging at the Ivy but I managed to find enough respect to resist although no doubt the person wouldn't have minded seen as how we just tidied the place up for them.