14 March 2021

Scotts Pine & Noble Fir.

One of our jobs this past week has been to pot on these Scotts Pine trees. I bought them in last year as bare rooted plants and the boss wants them growing on to make bigger plants for planting out in the woods at some point.

After buying in the trees last year it inspired me to have a go at growing some from seed so a few weeks ago I sowed a packet of Scots Pine and Noble Fir seeds. The Scotts Pine are in the half of the tray nearest and as you can see they have germinated very well. The Noble Fir are proving to be quite a lot slower, it looks like I might get a few plants from them eventually. For those that don't know the Noble Fir is often what you are getting when you buy your no drop Christmas trees.



5 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I love this picture of the sprouted seeds with the seed casing still not popped off.

Doc said...

You have quite the little forrest growing there.

Rob said...

When I see them like that Ellen I feel like I want to give them a hand to shake it off but I think it's best to leave them to it.

Rob said...

Hopefully one day it will be a proper forest Doc, although not in my time. My main concern now though is to get them through the damping off period.

Susan Heather said...

They look like lots of skinny people.